Tuesday, September 1, 2009

State of a-Fairs

Today following my class, I was invited to join a few classmates at the Great Minnesota Get Together, aka, the State Fair. The State Fair here is a really BIG DEAL. This State Fair is like the county fair on Miracle Grow. And, as far as I can tell, the main objective is to eat a whole lot of fried food.
Here's what I sampled (over the course of about 2 hours; don't try this at home):
Poncho dog: this was the best corn dog I've ever had! Could be because it's been about 10 years, probably, since I've had one.
Fried Cheese curd:s these were a little disappointing, honestly. They weren't even as good as the $1 mozzarella sticks at Sonic.
Wine ice cream: chocolate raspberry wine and raspberry red wine flavors-neither tasted anything like wine, so we skipped these after the samples
Fried Reeses' Peanut Butter cups: Delicious, wrong, but delicious. And delicious mostly because it was warm and melty. Next time, I'll just microwave my Reeses' cup or leave it in my car on a hot day and skip the extra calories from the batter, which was flavorless, and deep frying, although I was supposed to be reassured by the sign stating "No Transfats!"
Bucket of Chocolate chip cookies-we shared 2 dozen cookies between us 5, so not that bad, and again, all warm and melty-yum! And that was the small bucket. The medium bucket was teeming over with 4 dozen. I don't even want to imagine what is in the big bucket. Because the buckets are overflowing, there literally thousands of cookies that had been mushed into the pavement near the stand. Imagine gum petrified to the pavement, only thousands of chocolate chip cookies. Disturbing.
Roasted Corn on the Cob: this was pretty tasty, but definitely not worth $3 when it's in season $10 for 10 at the store.
and last, but certainly not least....
Fried Dill Pickles with Ranch dressing: this was AMAZING, divine, actually, and has made me think that maybe I do need a FryDaddy after all
All in all, I wasn't "impressed" with the fair, but it made me decide that in the unlikely event that law school doesn't work out, I'll work for the Food Network going to fairs and festivals, eating bizarre foods and reviewing them. I wouldn't mind that diner review gig either. Plus, I'm totally cuter than Al Roker.

No comments:

Post a Comment