Friday, August 28, 2009

First Week: I survived

Saying I survived is probably an overstatement. The week really wasn't all that difficult for me, although it has become clear that it was for some of my classmates. I think there is something to be said for the statement made by a faculty member during our orientation which I'll paraphrase: Law school is a full-time job. For those of you that have been working full-time jobs, this will not be a difficult transition from the 40-hour, 9-5 work schedule.
I have already talked to several classmates that are having a hard time balancing their time. My favorite example was a gentlemen who spent 2 hours running, then 3 hours playing volleyball and then "had" to stay up until 1:30 in the morning to study. Well, yah. If you spend 5 daylight hours not studying, you should plan to spend several hours, in the wee hours of the morning, completing your studies.
I had a teacher in junior high who said "This isn't little school, this is middle school." His premise was that we, as students, were responsible for completing our assignments on time and submitting them, and that he had no intention of holding our hand or ensuring that we did indeed complete the assignments. I kind of want to say that to my classmates: this isn't little school, this is Law School!
So, in a nutshell, my classes are going great. It might be a stretch to say I love studying for about 5 hours every day outside of class, but I get 'er done. I am also really enjoying the content of the courses, so the studying is more enjoyable than when I had to cram biology into my cranium.
I did have a minor snaffu with my parking situation that I know you will all get a chuckle from since it didn't happen to you (and my many thanks to Andy for rescuing me from myself, as usual):
I have a little magnetic card about the size of a credit card that is my parking pass to get in and out of the parking garage. I got into my car yesterday, and, quite responsibly, I pulled this card out before putting the car in gear so that I could have it in a handy spot when I arrived at the gate to exit. I then proceeded to drop it, and it slid between my parking break and under my center console: read, out of sight and out of reach unless you dismantle the car. So, I panic, then I decide that I might be able to reach it if I, in fact, dismantle the car. I have a screwdriver in my emergency road side kit, so I took to unscrewing the parts that hold the center console together and to my car. Long story short, after nearly an hour of huffing and puffing to try and get to this thing, I surrender. I manage to convince the parking attendant to let me out and he tells me "You should try to get it out of there." Thanks for stating the obvious.
I get home, certain that if there were two extra hands, this thing could be retrieved, and I was right. Andy found some strange tool with a long bendable arm and tiny retractable claws that looks like aliens would use it to implant tracking devices via probe, and manages to pull the thing out in a matter of about 5 minutes.
Moral of the story: no good deed goes unpunished. I wanted to have little pass handy to avoid holding up the line of cars trying to leave the garage, and instead wasted hours of my time and energy. I think the other moral here is I can have all the education in the world and still stand in my own way because I'm a klutz.

No comments:

Post a Comment