Friday, August 7, 2009

The last day at work

I was recounting with a friend recently about our work experience. She said "I've had a lot of jobs." I was about to say "I really haven't had that many," but then I started counting. Today is my last day at my 10th job, and that's if you don't count babysitting. I have lifeguarded and taught little ones to swim, sold countless trendy outfits at a clothing store, cold-called hundreds of lawyers to complete surveys, helped people pick souveniers at a shop in Boulder, filed stock trade tickets, taught Spanish to kindergartners, set up for worship and planned student events (I even modeled for a life-sized cardboard cut-out to promote an event,) and now, until the end of today, I have assisted over 5000 volunteers and staff from over 1000 non-profits get food to those in need.

Of course, I've left all of these 10 jobs, some more gracefully and voluntarily than others. This week, I cleaned out my office (a first for me, since none of my other positions have ever required an office.) I wrote my last e-newsletter and said my farewell. And while I've been planning to leave since March, it was all a little bit sad. I think this may be the only job I've had where, upon my departure, I believe I will be missed, and that my contribution to the mission here was worthwhile and important.

At the same time, I am clapping and jumping up and down like a school-girl because I am leaving to do the one thing I've wanted to do my whole life: go to law school. I can hardly contain my joy about that, and at 5:00 pm today, I won't have to anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment