Thursday, August 20, 2009

I have arrived







Andy and I have now been in
Minnesota for one week. Thanks to you all for all your good thoughts, prayers and support. The trip was long, hot and difficult (we had some "issues" with the cat not being very cooperative.)


So, I know you are all wondering, "How's law school?" (this middle picture is me after my first day-and look, I'm still smiling after 11 hours!) The answer is that it's great so far. I really love the school, which I knew I would, and I've met some great classmates (there 174 total 1st year students, so I'm still working on meeting everyone) and I have already finished two classes this week! We even watched an excerpt of the movie "Legally Blonde" in class one day. I felt right at home.

Next week is called First Week (I've added a "part II" determination, since I don't think you can logically have 2 "first weeks.") I start the classes I'll be taking for the rest of the semester and which will be graded. I'm on campus (yes, on a Saturday) getting cracking on studying for Monday already. I hope to be taking Sundays off from studying as a rule, which means homework on Saturdays.

The first picture is of my locker. I had to go out and buy a combination lock for the first time in what I think is 10 years. I love having a place to dump off my many books, and I keep extra coffee in there for reloading my caffeine and some snacks, and I'm planning to bring in some decor once Andy and I unpack and find all of our stuff.

Which probably brings you all to your next question: "Where are you living?" Right now, we are staying with Andy's dad (Mike) about 40 miles outside downtown, where the law school is. We are still figuring out where we'll be living permanently, and Andy is still looking for work. The upside is that we don't have to pay for food or shelter. The downside is that Mike's culinary skills are somewhat limited, so I've eaten pizza and hamburgers for every meal this entire week (even at law school functions, which mystifies me.)

Overall, things are great. I'm really enjoying law school so far. I have had several moments this week when I have thought, "I'm going to be a lawyer in three years!" I have also marvelled at how natural it feels to be in school again.
The last thing I want to note is that I'm kind of busy. You probably guessed as much. So, best way to get a hold of me is email: kellirae.riley@gmail.com If you would like to call me, and I would love to hear from you, the best time to call is after 5pm (Central Time) on weekdays, or any time on weekends. I'm going to be studying on weekends, but not all day, and probably not at the same times, so just call and I'll try to catch up with everyone. All my love to everyone.
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment