Saturday, September 12, 2009

Touch Football Semi-champions!


















Since everyone seems completely astonished that I would play football, let me start by saying, "Thanks for the vote of confidence, y'all!" I admit that I hate running, and sweating, so I can see where you are coming from, but I do love football. I decided this could be a great opportunity for a few laughs and to get to know some of my classmates better. My team is the up top picture, compliments of the team photographer, my husband Andy, of course!

A handful of my classmates and I faced of against the sections from the 2nd and 3rd year classes for the Touch Football Tournament, and we won the first two games, then lost the championship game to one of the 3rd year teams. I contribute this largely to exhaustion and heat. Sweltering would probably be an overstatement, but see the next paragraph for why even a normal heat would make me sweaty.

The rules of also stated that at least 3 girls must be on the field at all times, and that for every 3 plays, a girl must touch the ball at least once. Like most of the other teams, we had few girls. At first we had only 4 girls, and 13 guys. We successfully convinced one of our onlooking classmates to play after one long sweaty game so that we could have more girls to rotate in so each of us could get some more downtime. That made a huge difference!

The first pic of me, to be fair, is after the ball bounced off my leg. I am actually a pretty terrible catch, but I worked hard to do defense. While we were out to have fun, and we did, some teams were a little more, how shall I say this? Evil. We didn't let it get in the way of a great day. Even though we didn't win, everyone on my team was really great and I was really proud of myself for running all afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment