Monday, September 14, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Italian Mini-Chicken Pot Pies

For those of you who don't know, I spent the last three years writing weekly e-newsletters (a weekly email with updates, opportunities and a recipe) to the 1,000 partner non-profits with Food Bank of the Rockies. I had a section called Kookin' with Kelli that featured a recipe using items that were currently available at Food Bank of the Rockies. I was missing that part of my week, so I have been testing out some new recipes on my husband and father-in-law. I don't know that you'll get a recipe every week, but we'll see how this goes.
Last week, I made the Eggplant Lasagna, which was pretty tasty! It left me with some leftover ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, fresh basil and tomatoes. My mission yesterday was to use up some of these things, as well as some grilled chicken breasts we had leftover from another dinner. Result: Mini-chicken pot pies (the recipe called them "ricotta cups" which didn't seem to sell my audience on them, so Andy called them chicken pot pies.)
They were a smash hit with both Andy and Mike, and me, of course! They were very easy, especially since I had the cooked chicken on hand. We served it with a salad and everyone was stuffed!
Recipe of the Week: Italian Mini-Chicken Pot Pies
1 9-inch pie crust (thawed if using frozen)
2 cooked chicken breasts, diced
1 cup ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
1/2 shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. shredded Parmesan cheese
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 Roma or plum tomato, diced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line 8 cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Divide pie crust into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then press into muffin cup so that crust comes 3/4 the way up the side. Set aside.
Combine chicken, ricotta, cheddar, 1/4 cup of Parmesan, eggs, mustard, basil, tomato, salt and pepper and mix well. Evenly divide mixture among prepared muffin cups. Top each with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake 20 minutes, until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Delicious! Enjoy!
Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment