Wednesday, September 16, 2009

so wrong

This morning started like most mornings: late. I have actually managed to sleep clean through my alarm several times lately, so I think it's time for a new noise on the alarm clock that I haven't learned to tune out. That said, I decided it would be best to skip the task of making coffee at home, and, if I had time, grab a cup when I got to campus before class. This was all fine and good. I had 10 full minutes before class started. This is not enough time to run to any coffee vendor on campus, but just enough time to use the Nescafe machine next to the pop machines in our Student Center.
This was my first encounter with said machine. For those of you not familiar, this machine has a variety of buttons to select the size of the cup, and even how much creamer you would like. Most importantly, it is cheap. 75 cents will buy you survival; not bliss, but hey, it's caffeine.
I plug in my change, make my selection (strong brew, large, and extra Coffeemate.) My classmate and I are chatting, and then I notice, it dropped the cup down, yet it appears to be empty. I investigate, and remove the cup. It is very hot and full, yet it's white. No sign of coffee. The machine dispensed to me, at the expense of 75 cents, a 12-oz (yah, that's "large"-please, have you seen my normal intake?) steaming cup of creamer!!! It almost evoked tears. I was desperate, desperate for a cup of coffee, and I got creamer. Not to mention that even if I had been brave enough to give the machine another go, I had used every cent in my little coin purse, and the Nescafe machine does not take plastic. "So wrong,"I kept muttering the whole 3 flights up to my class, "So wrong."

The good news is, as observed in earlier blog posts, I can run to Starbucks if I have 15 minutes. So, after forcing myself through 1 hour and 15 minutes of class, I bolted down the stairs, grabbed my books, dashed down the block (yes, I actually ran,) got my Pumpkin Spice Latte, dashed back and made it into my seat with one minute to spare. As I enjoyed my liquid joy in a paper cup, I noticed that Starbucks has a new slogan: "We don't just want to make your drink; We want to make your day." Mission accomplished, Starbucks, mission accomplished.

1 comment:

  1. What you need is a timer on your coffee pot so it starts making coffee before you even get up. Then you can just pour it in a large to go cup before you leave. It is magical.

    ReplyDelete