Saturday, August 4, 2012

Domestic Bliss: Dish washing

I finished the bar exam (YAY!) and then headed with a couple friends to Gunnison, Colorado for a 5-day getaway. We stayed at a lovely hostel (like a cross between a boarding house and a commune and your friend-of-a-friend's couch). It was quite the experience! We had access to a full community kitchen, meaning we could cook all our meals there, but also meaning we had to clean up after ourselves! One of the cool things I picked up while we were there was a tip for making your dish soap last longer. I also find it easier to actually USE the dish soap than the usual method of trying to squirt just a little but ending up with a lot more than you need for one or two little dishes. You take a spray bottle (I picked up an empty one at the Dollar Store) and fill it about half full with water, then half full with the dish soap, then put the spray top back on and shake it enough to combine the soap and water. I labeled mine since we have spray bottles with water, multipurpose cleaner, etc. all over the place. When I'm washing up, I just spray once or twice on the dish (or onto the scrubby) and go to town! It works great! It's a really simple thing, but I would never have thought of it! I asked the hostel's owner about it, and she said an older guest mentioned that he had seen it at another hostel and thought it was a great way to save resources. I agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment