Thursday, August 9, 2012

All the things you can do with infinite time

As someone who just came off three solid years of non-stop toil (and it's not as if I was slacking off before that!), I'm having a tough time adjusting to all this free time. I've tried spacing out my tasks for the day to make myself a little less bored with sitting at home, but I haven't been too successful at just enjoying the time off. I've been praying about it. Did you ever think I'd pray to God to be busy again? I've actually prayed the "right" prayer: "God, please help me see the good in this time of doing nothing." Because praying for what you think God wants you to pray for is better than asking for what you really want, right? So, I'm working on it.
One thing I decided to do right away was tackle new recipes each day. I LOVE cooking, as you know, and it always seems like that first time you try a new recipe it takes forever! So, what better time to try them when I have nothing but time?! I have been cooking my way through Real Simple Magazine's August recipes, which contains 16 dinners that are each under 20 minutes. Like I said, though, the first time is much longer because you have to keep looking at the instructions, trying to figure out the measurements, etc. So, these each took me between 30-40, but now that I know them, I'm convinced 20 minutes is possible.
First up:
Chicken Sausage and Peach Skewers with Green Beans
This one was TASTY! Unfortunately, I forgot to buy kabob skewers, so they were more like sausage and peach sandwiches :)
1 pound green beans, trimmed
1 Tbs. whole-grain mustard
3 Tbs. olive oil
4 fully-cooked sausage links, cut into 1" pieces (I couldn't find cooked chicken sausage, so I added time to cook the ones I bought)
2 peaches or 3-4 plums, pitted and cut into wedges
1/2 baguette or other sturdy roll, cut into 1" pieces (I used 2 good-sized ciabatta rolls, which were delicious!)
Heat grill to medium-high. Toss sausage, peaches/plums and baguette pieces in a large bowl with 2 Tbs. olive oil. Thread the pieces onto kabob skewers. Make a foil packet and place green beans and remaining Tbs. olive oil inside, fold to seal. Place foil packet on the grill, and grill the skewers, turning every couple minutes.
Grilling everything takes about 7-10 minutes, but the kabobs may be done sooner. When everything has nice grill marks on it (and beans are bright green when you peek into the foil packet), you’re all set! Toss the green beans with the mustard, and season with salt and pepper. Serve with extra mustard.

I’ll be sharing all the recipes I try throughout the next couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment