Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Baking Bread, and other activities I now have time for

As you know, I love cooking and enjoy baking. Bread, and for that matter, anything that called for yeast, was usually a recipe I'd skip because I'm busy (and pretty impatient.) Still, when a friend posted a recipe for the whole wheat bread from The Cheesecake Factory (a similar version is served at Outback), I had to try it. My mom and I LOVE that bread! Plus, a quick look at the recipe made me realize this could easily be done in an afternoon, rather than a whole day of kneading and rising. The results were delightful! It wasn't quite identical in flavor to that at the Cheesecake Factory, so I may play with adding 2-3 additional tablespoons of cocoa powder next time.
The original recipe is available here: http://www.friedalovesbread.com/2008/10/outback-black-bread-copycat.html
I substituted 2 Tbs. Molasses for the caramel color-it was one thing to track down vital wheat gluten, but I drew the line at caramel color. By the way, the vital wheat gluten is available in the baking aisle in stores that carry specialty flours. I used the Bob's Red Mill brand. If you can't find it, you might try letting the bread rise longer, and/or kneading the bread more to develop the gluten in the bread more. If all else fails, leaving out the vital wheat gluten should just make your bread more flat and shouldn't affect flavor. I also imagine you could do this in a bread machine, I just don't have one.
Ingredients
2 1/2 c. warm water
4 T. butter or margarine melted, or vegetable oil
2 T. caramel color or molasses
1/2 c. honey
3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
3-4 c. all purpose flour
2 T. cocoa
2 T. active dry yeast
2 T. vital wheat gluten
2 t. salt
Oats (to roll in)


Instructions
Combine first 4 ingredients (water, oil, color, honey) and mix well. Pour wheat flour on top of wet ingredients. Add cocoa, yeast, gluten and salt. Stir until well blended. Allow mixture to stand for 10 minutes to allow yeast to develop.

Add all purpose flour, one cup at a time, until dough clings to hook (I did all mixing by hand since my mixer is still in storage-it was fine) and almost cleans the sides of mixer, about 3-4 minutes.

Allow to raise in the bowl, covered with plastic wrap, until doubled, about 20-30 minutes.

Divide into 8 piles, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Shape into loaves and roll in oats. Place on greased cookie sheet or 2 greased 9 x 5 loaf pans. 

Allow to rise till double, about 20 minutes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.


Enjoy warm with lots of butter! 
And, for your visual enjoyment, my latest card-making gem:




I hope this finds you well, enjoying the warm days and cool nights (finally!)

No comments:

Post a Comment