Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Something yummy

I've been cooking like crazy lately-I spent two hours in the kitchen yesterday, and it was deeply therapeutic. I'm guessing it's a combination of the cool weather and a little boredom. I'm only working part-time on my legal projects, so cooking (and baking) give me a reason not to go too crazy at home.

Here's one of the highlights:

Sausage and Spaghetti Bake
I modified a recipe that came on the pasta box and have had delicious results. The first time I did a combo of bleu cheese and Parmesan, and last night I did feta and shredded swiss (I've had an eccentric selection of cheeses lying around). Both were great. You could certainly go all bleu cheese, but I encourage you to be daring and try a few different combos. Also, I haven't tried it yet with other pasta shapes, but I'm sure that would be delish, too!

8 oz. spaghetti (1/2 a box)
1 lb. Italian sausage (bulk, or links with casings removed)
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups broccoli florets
2 Tbs. flour
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 c. half and half or heavy cream
8 oz. bleu cheese crumbles (or a mixture of cheeses)
2 Tbs. chives, chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Cook spaghetti to al dente, according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, brown sausage over medium high heat in a large skillet until browned and crumbled. Remove sausage to a paper-towel-lined plate, and to skillet and drippings, add olive oil, onion and garlic powder. Saute onions for 5-7 minutes until softened.
While the onions are working, place the broccoli (fresh or frozen) in a microwave safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave about 4 minutes. Drain off liquid and reserve.
Stir in flour to skillet with onions, and cook 1-2 minutes. Whisk in broth, return to a bubble (it will thicken pretty quickly). Add cream/half & half and cheese, stir until blended and return to a bubble for one minute. Remove from heat. In a bowl (or in the pan if room) combine cheese sauce, sausage, broccoli, and pasta. Spray a 9 x 13 dish with cooking spray. Pour the pasta mixture into the 9 x 13 dish. The dish may be very full, so I recommend placing it on a foil-lined cookie sheet in case there are bubble-overs. Bake 15-20 minutes until bubbly, then remove and let it rest 5 minutes. Garnish with chives and serve. Serves 4-6.
This picture is pre-bubbly, so not quite as delicious looking. I also got a bit carried away making it and tossed in cauliflower, too, which was tasty, but made it so not everything fit in one 9 x13, so I made an extra mini to pop in the freezer for a rainy day! I also roasted the broccoli and cauliflower for 20 minutes in the oven, because I had the time, but the microwave would definitely be faster.I hope this dish warms your heart!
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment