Friday, November 11, 2011

How many posts will I have to entitle "I'm still alive"?

But, alas, I am. Most of you knew this, since you are friends with me on facebook, or call or write or see me in person periodically. That said, I'm a terrible blogger lately, and for that, I'm deeply sorry.
Here's what's new:
I'm interning with a judge at the Unites States Federal Courthouse (with my own office!) The judge hears all bankruptcy cases, so I'm getting even more experience in that area. Hooray! This information is often followed by the question "Do you want to practice in bankruptcy after law school?" To which I reply "Not really. It just sort of fell in my lap, and I don't dislike it as much as most people seem to." To expound on that, bankruptcy is like Tax law: it's weird, and most people gag just thinking about it. I find it tolerable, if not a little enjoyable, so that probably makes me weird, too. I would like to practice in bankruptcy if I could only help low-income clients for the rest of my life, which really means I can't make a living working in bankruptcy. Who knows, I could change my mind.

I would like to practice in Employment litigation (handling disputes between employers and workers), ideally representing workers (aka, the little guy.) If you know someone who wants to hire an attorney to do this in the next year in the Denver area, let me know! I'm pretty optimistic about finding a job after law school, but if all else fails, I'll follow the advice of my dear friend Ryan, which starts "Well you can wish in one hand..." :)

Hmmm, what else? I've been making some really, really good food. I whipped up pasta with roasted carrots, red onion, kale and turkey sausage the other day. I'm fanatical about kale right now, for absolutely no apparent reason. It just makes me happy. I also made orange ginger coffee cake on a test run before I bake for our church on Saturday. Recipe forthcoming. So far, results seem to be a winner. Last nite, I made us individual sweet potato casseroles with toasted marshmallows on top. It was a-mazing. Why do we only eat this stuff once a year? The take-away from this is that I might eat less of the stuff we load up on at the holidays if I made it more often. I'm going to follow up on that hypothesis and get back to you.

Also, I just registered for my LAST SEMESTER OF LAW SCHOOL! It is crazy how fast it's gone. I truly cannot believe I'll be done in six months. Whew! Although, for some reason, people always respond to that by saying "Time flies when you're having fun!" Really? Have you ever been to law school? I love law school, like way more than normal people, but I wouldn't call it "fun." That's just a lie.
One thing that I'm looking forward to is December. Normally, I dread the majority of the month because that means exams. This year, though, I have only one, lonesome exam on Dec. 20. I have over 2 weeks to study for ONE exam. To avoid insanity brought on by overexposure to "Sale of Goods" laws, I've started planning all the fun stuff I'll be doing for study breaks! Cookies, crafts, shopping, and of course, blogging about it! The holiday delights will abound. More on that soon.

And the announcement most of you really want to hear: I'll be home for Christmas! I booked my flight last week, and I'll be in C-O-L-O-R-A-D-O from Dec. 23-Jan. 12. I'll be "networking" some to get some feelers out for finding jobs, but I'll definitely have time to see some of you, and give you big hugs!


All my love,
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment