Saturday, July 30, 2011

Here's your sign

I'm studying right now to take the first portion of the bar exam, the professional ethics exam (called the Multi-state Professional Responsibility Exam).

I thought it would amuse you to know that students at my law school routinely struggle with this exam because they are too ethical. I am running into this same problem on the practice exams.


Here's a sample question:
A woman alleges that she was assaulted by a very wealthy businessman. She contacted a lawyer about representing her in a suit against the businessman. After several discussions with the lawyer, the woman decided to employ another attorney instead. The businessman was later charged with criminal assault, and the trial was televised. The lawyer watched the trial, and was astonished when the woman testified to facts that the lawyer knew from their previous discussions were false.
The lawyer sent a letter to the court notifying it that the woman had perjured herself.
Were the lawyer's actions proper?
Answer: No. It doesn't matter that the woman lied because the disclosure was in confidence.
So, here's your sign: you thought she did the "right" thing, didn't you? You are too ethical to do well on this exam :) It's been a real adventure trying to learn to think this way.

On another note, I finally got my first tomato!! Even though we've enjoyed cucumbers, beans and bell peppers, there is something so rewarding about that first red tomato.


I'm staying busy studying for this test, and my reward will be a week-long visit from my parents! I am really looking forward to having them here, and all I have to do is push through this rotten week of studying legal ethics.


I hope to have more to share after their visit, so stay tuned!


Kelli








No comments:

Post a Comment