Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Asian BBQ Chicken and Snap Pea and Red Cabbage Slaw

 
As soon as we got back from our vacation, I was ready to cook! A solid week of eating out most meals left me restless, so I plowed into the July issue of Bon Appetit for some fresh ideas to get us out of our burger rut. Andy actually said, "I only want to eat fish and chicken" after our week choc full of red meat.
To my delight, the feature of the July issue is "Grilling Chicken!" I adapted this recipe for the kabobs on the cover, mostly because I was too lazy to cut up the chicken into hunks and too hungry to wait for the bamboo skewers to soak for an hour. The result was fantastic-I can't imagine it being better on the kabobs, and this was way less work.
 
Sambal Chicken Skewers
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/3 cup hot chili paste or hot sauce
  • 1/4 cup fish sauce
  • 1/4 cup Sriracha
  • 2 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger (or dried grated ginger)
  • 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch–2-inch pieces (or not, in my case)

Special equipment

  • 8 bamboo skewers soaked in water at least 1 hour (again, I skipped this and grilled them whole)
  • Ingredient info

    Hot chili paste and fish sauce is available at Asian markets, and in many supermarkets near other Asian foods, usually next to soy sauce on a top shelf. Fish sauce is potent, so buy a small bottle at first as you use very little.

Preparation

  • Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Whisk brown sugar, vinegar, chili paste, fish sauce, Sriracha, and ginger in a large bowl. NOTE: it stinks, but trust me it turns out fine. Add chicken and toss to coat. Let marinate 5-10 minutes.  Thread 4 or 5 chicken pieces onto each skewer, and move chicken to a plate until you are ready to grill, and reserve marinade.
  • Transfer marinade to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until reduced by half (about 1 cup), 7–10 minutes. NOTE: this also stinks, so crack a window.
  • Grill chicken, turning and basting often with reduced marinade, until cooked through, 8–10 minutes.
 
I served this sticky, sweet & spicy chicken with a fresh and easy slaw of sliced sugar snap peas and red cabbage:

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 small red cabbage, thinly sliced
  • 8 ounces sugar snap peas, thinly sliced crosswise
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/4cup chopped fresh mint or basil (I did mint and it was sublime!)

Preparation

  • Whisk oil, lemon juice, and honey in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add cabbage, snap peas, parsley, and mint and toss to combine.
  • DO AHEAD: Vegetables can be cut and dressing can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and chill separately. Toss vegetables and dressing together just before serving.
 

 
This blog post was brought to you in part my cat Marcelle, who helped me by sitting on my keyboard. She says, "You're welcome." Actually, she said, "r:eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee........................"

No comments:

Post a Comment