Thursday, July 29, 2010

Let the recapping begin

Summer seems to go this way, or maybe it's law school, or maybe it's both. All these fantastic, idyllic and wonderful moments happen, I think "I will blog about this" and then weeks go by. Then I have to recap them in some cramped way so that my post isn't too long. Well, this time, I'm just going to write all the shorter, more concise blog posts I would have written if I had the time, at the time. So, you're inbox will be full with my updates today instead of over the course of 3 weeks. I'm sure you'll cope.
The Garden:
Oh! The masterpiece that my garden has become! I'd like to remind you of its humble beginnings:
And, now:
As my friend Molly put it, I now have tomato hedges. Our green beans and carrots recovered spectacularly from the rabbit invasion. I sprayed hot sauce on all our plants every night for about a month, and we put in a chicken wire fence that the rabbits can't chew through. The garden seems to have been left alone since. Sadly, most of our fellow gardeners didn't take action and many of their gardens were ravaged to the point of destruction.
We have enjoyed many of the fruits of our labor. 2 green bell peppers, 7 jalapenos, 28 grape tomatoes, 3 cucumbers, 32 green beans and lots of fresh herbs. I had my study buddies over for mojitos with mint from my garden, but that's another blog post...stay tuned!
It has proved to be an obsession. We had severe weather the other night. I saw bubbly clouds that almost always mean hail, and I dropped everything to run home and cover my garden! We got nasty wind and driving rain, but fortunately no hail. I think if it had been destroyed, tears would not have been unexpected at this point.
All in all, my garden has been very possibly the best part about living here. I am growing things bigger and better than I've ever been able to grow them anywhere else, much to my content.

No comments:

Post a Comment